[workshops] GIT workshop at the hackerspace

Hi there, I was wondering if somebody can organize and host a hands-on workshop about Git with a focus on Github.
I’m trying quite some time to understand more about how to work around Github, but with not much success. It would be something highly apresciated from other folks at the hackerspace as well.
Anyone that can initiate and host this?

Many thanks.

R.S

3 Likes

You can count me in. I was thinking about maybe organizing and hosting a workshop about Git in September or October.

2 Likes

If someone local can’t run this, I wonder about options for a remote workshop? This is something I’d be interested in running, but it would come at the consequence of being remote. I’ve done similar presentations on git before, which is why I think it could be fun. But it would likely be a better option if you can find someone local – if not, I’m open to this!

You might find this article interesting to see about using GitHub organizations as a community organizing tool.

1 Like

Everything Github does is based on Git, so the more effort you devote to learning Git, the more easily you will understand everything you see in Github.

Most developers do most of their work with just a few Git commands: git add, git diff, git status, git commit and git log. There are various GUIs that do all the same things, but if you understand these commands, you can use any of the GUIs.

Here is a sequence of commands you can cut and paste to try it:

mkdir -p /tmp/git-lesson
  cd /tmp/git-lesson
  git init
  echo "Test 1" > file1.txt
  echo "ABC" > file2.txt
  git status
  git add file1.txt
  git status
  git commit -m 'Add file1'

git status
  git add file2.txt
  git commit -m 'Add file2'

echo "Test 2" >> file1.txt 
  git diff
  git diff --cached
  git status
  git add file1.txt
  git diff
  git diff --cached
  git commit -m 'Update file1'

git rm file2.txt
  git status
  git commit -m 'Remove file2'

git mv file1.txt file3.txt
  git status
  git commit -m 'Rename file1 to file3'

git log
  git status

gitk

The last command, gitk, is in a different package. It is a GUI to browse the repository.

The Git Tutorial is also very useful.

There are other concepts you need to understand such as branches, tags and remotes (for Github): but do not worry about those things at all until you fully understand the basic commands above.

3 Likes

@rskikuli if you want a quick 20 min intro I can help you. Just tell me when is the best time for you.

3 Likes

@rskikuli that would be great, I think many people would like to join the workshop.
@Xh3n1 if you need help organizing the event, count me in :slight_smile:

2 Likes