Translation of Nextcloud Android 3.0.0

Hello everyone,

My name is Andy and I work on Nextcloud’s Android App in my spare time. We just released the first release candidate of the next mayor version 3.0.0 and wanted to call for help with translations to Albanian since I’d be happy if we could ship the stable release with a complete translation :slight_smile:

In case you find some time to spend on the project, we use transifex at https://www.transifex.com/nextcloud/nextcloud/android/ and all translations get auto pushed to github once per day.

Thanks anyone in advance for your help!

11 Likes

Hey @Andy

Thank you for sharing this in the forum. Sounds good, we’ve been having many contributors during our localization sprints who have helped us have Nextcloud localized to almost 100% in Albanian.

I think a new localization sprint can be a good idea to finish the translations for the android app and the new files that have been added to transifex. @MarinKaltani @evavranici @Sidorela and others, what do you think?

4 Likes

Hi Andy, great to hear from you. I totally agree with @silva.arapi to arrange a localization sprint. I would personally contribute remotely.

2 Likes

Sounds good, I agree.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone and great idea to do a localization sprint.

1 Like

Hey all, I agree to have a localisation sprint. So count me in :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this Andy. Count me in for the sprint girls.

R. S

2 Likes

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to give you an update on the (kind of) release schedule for 3.0.0.
At this moment we plan to have the stable release beginning next week, probably Tuesday or Wednesday
I looked at https://www.transifex.com/nextcloud/nextcloud/translate/#sq/android/91098483 and it fell below 80% translation rate. I absolutely don’t want to criticize anyone or put pressure on you folks since we all being contributors we all have to do this in our spare time. So this post is rather about managing expectations since the devs (including me) don’t wait for translations to be completed but rather release the stable whenever the release candidates show that the app is stable (which it seems to be the case now, no promises).

Again, thank you all for the efforts you put into Nextcloud :heart:
Andy

3 Likes

Hey Andy, thanks for the update. As you mentioned this is an effort done in parallel with the other time dedicated to free open source projects and sometimes the available time is limited. On January the majority of us have been preparing for Fosdem and the efforts on Nextcloud localization will resume on February and more specifically on the monthly meetup we are planing to organize. You will receive an update about the progress soon after the meetup.
Talking about Fosdem, would be great to catch up during Saturday or Sunday. Are you on the Nextcloud Telegram group?

R.S

Hey Redon,
sorry for the late reply. I couldn’t attend fosdem since I have had a company event of my employer on that weekend. As you said and I said before, this is an effort done in parallel. My attention wasn’t to put any pressure on anybody with the reminder while being aware that a reminder implicitly might create pressure but I didn’t want not posting a reminder being a reason for it to fail so that was the trade off. As for release schedule info, we will be releasing the Android client 3.0.0 stable tomorrow so translations will then go into the next release then which is fine I’d say so no pressure!

I am also in the Telegram group but usually mute it due to it being yet another channel…

Andy

1 Like

Hi again. Just wanted to let you know that this will definitely be on the agenda for our next Nextcloud meetup. Looking forward on having the next version in Shqip asap. We will update you on the progress of course. Best from Tirana,

R.S

Here is the discussion about the agenda of the next meetup Nextcloud meetup shkurt 2018.

R.S

1 Like

@Andy I worked a bit with @silva.arapi on the Android translations. It should be 100% translated by now. In the next days we will work on the general translation in order to have the percentage of the Albanian language up again :slight_smile:

R.S

2 Likes

Great news and thanks a lot @rskikuli
As a little thank you I opened two PRs for the CityZen Android app. Please let me know if there is anything where I can be of help with the app. :slight_smile:

2 Likes