Suggestion: How-to pinned post for using mailing list mode

This thread is a stub for later about creating a helpful “how to” guide for users who prefer the mailing list format and want to use Discourse in a traditional mail client. There might be a helpful guide for this that already exists, so it might just be a matter of linking it and adding a few helpful images. :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @jflory7
Any specific benefit in enabling it?

@kominoshja It was mentioned in the hackerspace yesterday that Discourse might replace the Google Groups mailing list. If it does, having this be an option would be helpful. I guess the benefit would be allowing someone to use the forums from their mail client.

Update:
Mailing list has been enabled by default
If this consumes a lot of resources, it will be reverted
:open_labs:

1 Like

Thanks folks. Is this going alright? Did anyone have any problems with the mailing list mode?

there has been some technical difficulties with enabling reply by email which will be fixed tonight after i finish my TechSpeakers call

Any updates on this? My main problem is to reply by email but also how to start new threads via email. It would helpful to include this in any future guide or documentation.

this has been fixed.
As for replying in topics, you can do it when you get an email notification.
As for creating topics, i don’t know yet

Okay, awesome! Then this will be my first test. I’m sure there’s a way to create threads too once we figure it out.

On March 24, 2017 10:41:41 AM GMT+01:00, Boris Budini <info@openlabs.cc> wrote:

borisBoris BudiniAdministrator

March 24

this has been fixed.

As for replying in topics, you can do it when you get an email notification.

As for creating topics, i don’t know yet

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

![|1x1](upload://l42MeOlyaiNvuw1Ep0RVWiYIKUe.gif)

Nice, seems like it’s working well to me. :slight_smile: I’ll just need to remember
to scrub the previous reply unless I’m quoting in-line.

Nice work!

1 Like

Okay, so since this option was disabled when most of the users were added, most of them have this option will be disabled. I will create a post where I will describe every aspect of using discourse so that users won’t accidentally trigger anything and I will quote this as well. That post will be pinned globally.

I think it’s probably okay for it not to be mailing list mode by default (I think for most people, a forum format might be easier to follow along). However, documenting how to use it as a mailing list will still be a worthwhile effort. :smile: