"Open Labs leads 48-hour hackathon for good"

"The local hackerspace in Tirana, Albania might be small, but they make up for size in spirit. During the weekend of March 18-19, 2017, the Open Labs Hackerspace organized the first-ever, 48-hour “open source” hackathon focused on the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.

The UN Sustainable Development Goals are 17 objectives identified by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) to build a better world, starting in our own communities.

Some of the goals include quality education, gender equality, decent work and economic growth, clean energy, and more. During the course of the hackathon, participants selected a goal, broke into teams, and worked on projects to make real change in their own neighborhoods. In the spirit of open source, all projects are made available under free and open licenses."

Read more in the full article on Opensource.com!

1 Like

Thanks Justin! Really well written and detailed article. Thanks for all the work you put into this! The event exceeded our expectations in many ways :slight_smile:

On a related note: Do you think we could do an article for OSCAL on opensource.com ?

1 Like

Cheers, I was more than happy to put it together. :tada: :100: :tada:

As for an OSCAL article, do you mean before or after? I had reached out to the OSDC team about the press release, but they got back with me saying that they don’t normally publish these types of articles because they’re not highly engaged with. I think it would be possible to put something together to promote OSCAL, but it would need to be indirect. Perhaps focusing on the diversity of the conference and the unique gender ratio from previous editions, and then wrapping in the fact that it’s happening again this May. I think it would be possible, but need some more time to think on it. I also know the attendee registration deadline is approaching?

1 Like

Sorry I missed it. If there is some event I can help with online, let me know.

1 Like

Justin, yeah that would be ideal.

We don’t want a press release kind of style article. The style of your hackathon article was really neat and I think could work out for OSCAL as well. We could tackle it from a storytelling perspective which could be more engaging.

2 Likes

@elioqoshi I’ll try to see what I can put together. Might be tough for me with the deadline for attendee applications with some of the other work on my plate. I won’t make promises, but I will definitely make an effort!

@h4ck3rm1k3 during #LinuxWeekend17 we managed to live stream the event. It was the first time we tried this and personally I think it went really well. Based on the learnings from the event and hopefully some budget for hardware we will manage to have even more events live-streamed.

R.S

1 Like

@jflory7 Yeah sure, I understand. Chances are we will extend free tickets way longer than that, so that wouldn’t be a huge problem (we neither have to focus on the tickets part for an article either)

1 Like

@anxhelo can you share the photos somewhere please?

R.S

Such as cloud.openlabs.cc :wink::open_labs:

2 Likes