My personal experience on getting involved with LibreOffice community

libreoffice

(Izabela Bakollari) #1

Hi everyone,

I am an Open Labs member but not previously involved in LibreOffice Community. I was an attendee at LibOCon 2018 held in Tirana and organized by Albanian community. I got introduced to various ways of getting involved and Easy Hacks were what got my interest.

After LibOCon, Open Labs community had a follow-up call with LibreOffice developers about future contributions and meetings. One of the ideas Bjorn proposed, was to create a team of contributors that want to learn and contribute the core code of LibreOffice.

This idea got a positive feedback from the community and now we have a group of people getting started C++ and learning how to contribute.

Anxhelo and I, from the Albanian community, attended the Hackefst in Munich hosted by modulE powered by CIB.

On the first day, we started by introducing ourselves and what we would work on the weekend. I got introduced to developers tools and communication channels. In the evening we enjoyed delicious pasta and had inspiring conversations.

Saturday was more intensive. I received lots of mentoring from Bjorn, Cloph and other developers. Succeeded to build LibreOffice and solved two Easy Hacks that were pushed into master (so proud!). We also had a discussion on future events contributions.

On Sunday, we made a summary of our contributions during Hackfest and had the pleasure to be part of the city tour in the old town guided by Mike Saunders.

A group of contributors is learning object-oriented programming and can’t wait to solve their first Easy Hacks! We are having the great support of LibreOffice developers with regular calls to strengthen our skills and give back to the community.

See you all very soon,
Izabela

LibreOffice 2019
(Redon Skikuli) #2

Thank you for sharing your experience with us Izabela. It is something that we need to do even more at local level. Gathering know how from global initiatives to share the accumulated knowledge locally. I would propose to publish a modified version of your experience as a blog post at our website.
Thanks again for sharing this.

R.S