Libre Tech School

What happened to this idea? Is it being discussed somewhere? I find it really interesting and maybe I can contribute with tech support and/or lectures.

2 Likes

It work in progress for the last months during weekends mainly. I would like to put together more details in the following months before sharing the concept with the community. The main idea is to teach ‘everyday’ people with no digital skills how to use floss platforms for browsing the net, emailing, navigate maps like OSM, basic protection while using the internet etc. Everyone that has the knowledge can set up courses can be a teacher and it would awesome if you or people with your knowledge would participate. The main thing to consider is how this whole thing will be governed and I’ll share more details once this is ready as a draft proposal.

R.S

What do you think about using Moodle? It is a great teaching platform, it integrates well with BigBlueButton, it has a calendar for keeping people up-to-date and notified, etc. I have used Moodle for a couple of years. I still run an instance of it: https://ocw.fs.al

Since you are talking about underprivileged and volunteers, I guess the courses are going to be offered for free, isn’t it?

1 Like

I have heard only good things about Moodle and coming from you also makes me think it is the right thing to do. If you could demo it in the next days/weeks I would apresciate it. It can be one of these FLOSSK/OL sessions that are being done online?
I strongly believe in the power of sharing knowledge in person and I find it more effective than online lessons, but maybe I’m wrong.
Regarding the payment: yes, no one should deprived of accessing this due to financial dificulties. I also think it is not easy to access such social groups mainly due to the fact that a lot of institutions and organizations have done a poor job on earning their trust. This might be the hardest part of the job alongside the governance of the initiative.

1 Like

Sure, but I don’t want to be the one who manages/maintains the schedule. Can we make a meeting (OL+FLOSSK) to discuss this and also to see how it works?
Is anyone else who has some experience with Moodle?

Maybe you are not wrong, but using Moodle does not limit us to online lessons. It simply helps us to get organized, helps participants to check the schedule, to get notified, to download the slides or other materials, etc.
If we want to make it online we can also use BBB etc.

Moodle is very good for teaching. Some of my professors used it back when I was attending technical courses.
In our case, we weren’t doing online lessons. Moodle was used as a platform together with the normal, face-to-face lessons. We could share exercises, have notes and other things on Moodle and it was a big help to keep up with the course.
I definitely recommend it.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the feedback. I have also gathered some ideas from people that have done something relatively similar to this one in other countries. I think it would help the process of having an online presentation of the idea and also have a discussion with everyone interested to join in. I’ll propose a date and time slots in the next days.

R.S