Getting publig data from public institutions for OpenStreetMap

Hello friends,

many months ago OSM contributors have initiated and proposed (thanks @jbelien for the idea, @John, @Stereo and other - apologies if I forget anyone) to ask from public institutions to donate their data to the public domain - it’s their obligation and after all public money should generate public domain data right? Inspired by the Kosovo Campaign (Bosfort, @arianit and Guillaume please share details about the hard work you guys are doing there), I would propose to (finally) start working on having ASIG donate their data to OSM. The first step would be to have a working group, so if you are interested in joining the effort please write here to state that you are interested in joining the working group for this.
We need at least one member of the OL board to be on board due to the need of signing an agreement with a public institution - so please let us know @Board.
The more we are, more consolidated the working plan will be and more opinions will be part of the initiative.
What do you guys think?

R.S

R.S

Hello friends,

My name is Besfort and not Bosfort :). To share the details what we have done and what we are doing is not easy in written. But if you need any kind of support I would be more than happy to do it.

Thanks,
Besfort

1 Like

Apologies for the typo Besfort :slight_smile:
Do you have any blog post that describes the main idea behind the project?

R.S

No we dont have anything till now.

thanks,
Besfort

I would love to help in retrieving such data and since I don’t physically live in AL and i cant do much, but I can surely help in some virtual way or another. If you think I could be of use, hit me up! :smiley:

2 Likes