ESRI World Imagery now in OpenStreetMap

https://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2017/08/24/world-imagery-in-osm/

HUGE News from Esri, one of the biggest international suppliers of geographic information system (GIS) software, web GIS and geodatabase management applications.

Today Esri is proud to announce that we are making our own global collection of satellite imagery available to the OSM community directly through our existing World Imagery Service. This regularly updated resource provides one meter or better satellite and aerial photography in many parts of the world, 15m TerraColor imagery at small and mid-scales (~1:591M down to ~1:72k), 2.5m SPOT Imagery (~1:288k to ~1:72k), 1 meter or better NAIP in the US and many other curated sources, so we know it will make a welcome addition to OSM’s growing catalog of reference layers.

The imagery can be used in all OSM’s great editors (JOSM, Potlatch 2, Vespucci etc.) but the easiest way to check it out is the simple and friendly web editor iD v2.4.0+.

I just checked the imagery and it seems to be slightly better than the ones from Bing, at least for Albania. I found Bing to be better in Germany for example. In any case, this is rather big news I suppose and a great success for OSM globally.

@diskmanti @Sidorela @jbelien @John this should interest you.

1 Like

Thank you @elioqoshi for sharing this :slight_smile:
Just checked it and it really has better imagery. Bing imagery for Albania is not clear for many cities, another good options are imageries from Digital Globe which where added a few months ago.

Yes, that’s really excellent news !

Bing, Digital Globe, and now ESRI satellite imagery ! That’s of course excellent for mapping but that also means that big companies start to show interest for OpenStreetMap and that’s even better ! :slight_smile:

OpenStreetMap will definitely become the best map (I think it already is) in term of quality and quantity of data !
Now we have to make it the best map in term of usage too ! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I still need to check the ESRI map. I believe it will be good and also Esri updates their basemaps every two years so this is a great thing.

1 Like