[Discussion] Getting Zamphyr/School 2.0 to Albania

(Marko Kazhiq) #1

Hey folks,

I’m looking for your feedback.

Those of you who’ve attended OSCAL 2018, might be familiar with the School 2.0 idea, and Zamphyr as free and open school of technology.

For those who are not familiar here the break down of the idea: https://speakerdeck.com/marxo/building-the-school-2-dot-0-oscal-2018-marko-kazic

I see an opportunity to work with the Albanian community and Open Labs members and get Zamphyr to Albania, as an open knowledge program and a free school of technology. It could possibly improve many aspects of technical education, competitiveness, digital literacy and help boost community engagement, while leaving the possibility for more offline events.

What are the pain points in the community that we could solve with free access to technical education? Some ideas include editathons, hackathons, training programs and internships, localization sprints but also working other organizations on getting funding for open source project or with government representatives to fund augmentation of the educational system, and boosting Open Labs’ reach in the community. The crowdsourcing element leaves a huge space of opportunities for the wider community, but I’d love to hear your ideas.

Would anyone want to contribute to these efforts?

(Jor Bashllari) #2

The problem with most schools as far as I’ve seen might be the incompetence of teachers with 20th century tech (not going to involve the Internet here) and the widespread nepotism that forces everything and everyone to remain in the same position and the students to only learn on their own. Despite the utopic feel-good principles, it would face great difficulties even fully localized in Albanian (text + audio).

As fascist as this might sound, we might have to wait for the old generation of teachers to die off (by “old generation” I’m referring to the ones specialized and working during and slightly after the communist regime, hammered with the linear idea of information flow and how questions from students are practically forbidden; of course there are numerous exceptions, but there’s still the language gap and the notion of paper superiority anecdotally everywhere).
As an aside, we’re currently undergoing yet another school system change (pre-university).

My opinion on this: it’s best we wait for (1) more digital literacy and taking most devices and protocols seriously, (2) the government to stop (or more realistically, pause) reforming the mandatory school cycle every year, otherwise it’s going to look either like wasted localizations or an electoral campaign stunt.

(Marko Kazhiq) #3

Thanks for the reply, Jor.

I do agree and expect that adoption of any change so profound will most definitely be a challenge, and I think we should focus on what the community, and stakeholders in the industry and government can do to raise the level of digital literacy, improve alternative education, as they do share the common interest of getting the unemployment levels lower and competitiveness higher. I think of this as a grassroots movement.

This idea is already implemented as a technology school, so this leaves space for events, training courses, repetitive engagement from the community to get people in to tech. Practically, Zamphyr is working on an Workshop Kit which has a similar format to Nodeschool which could potentially be an easy event to set up in a community.

Some possible actions for the community:

• Workshops powered by the platform
  • Hackathons for building up the free and open educational infrastructure
  • Editathons for building or translating content in the knowledge corpus
  • Building parts of free education ecosystem with industry stakeholder (socially responsible ones) as projects
  • Creating study groups and local learning communities
  • Advocating the principles to aforementioned stakeholders

Even if it would be better to do it with it institutional help, there is a lot that we can do as individuals and I definitely think we can set this up for the community.