CFP open for SFK 2020

Kosovo’s free and open source software conference

17 - 19 April 2020, Prishtina, Kosovo

About The Conference

Software Freedom Kosova Conference (SFK) is one of the biggest and oldest annual non-profit conferences in the region established to promote software freedom, free culture and open knowledge, a global movement that originally started more than 25 years ago.

The Conference gathers each year developers, academics and users who share the idea that software should be free and open for the community to develop and customize to its needs; that knowledge is a communal property and free and open to everyone. Each year SFK succeeded in its mission: educating Kosovo youth on Free and Open Source Software, its principles and the great community behind it. SFK conferences have had great impact on creating strong bonds of friendship between the local and communities.

SFK provides a fertile ground to build and enhance networking within the tech community, both in the country, in the region and worldwide by being used as a meeting point for a network of individuals and companies with the aim of sponsoring and initiating projects which benefit the people of Kosovo and which should also result in benefits for the surrounding region.

https://sfk.flossk.org/sfk20/

Call for proposals:

5 Likes

Awesome news to hear about SFK 2020! :tada:

Random question, does anyone know if SFK is still done in partnership with RIT Kosovo? I remember it was in 2016 or 2017, but I’m not sure if this is still the case.

@valmirmustafa or @besiguri probably have more info on this.

1 Like

It was hosted at RIT Kosovo previously, we have not decided where we will hold it yet this year.

1 Like

Okay, cool. For what it is worth, I am currently employed with the Free/Open Source Software initiative at RIT in Rochester, New York until at least end of February. I was talking with my colleagues about SFK and RIT Kosovo. We are wondering if it is possible to reignite this connection.

This was before my time, but I was told that the RIT LibreCorps collaboration with UNICEF Innovation Labs in Kosovo in 2014/2015 was what opened the door for RIT Kosovo hosting SFK in the past. The folks who led this before are no longer at RIT (to my knowledge), but I know a lot about the FOSS community in Albania/Kosovo and I’m happy to be an advocate or partner in any way I can. :smile:

If you’re interested to chat more, I am on Signal/Telegram/email. You can DM me on Discourse to get in touch.